Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Resolutions, Resolved

Hey all.  So I'm sure (actually fairly positive) that many bloggers the world over have already written about their New Years' Resolutions.  Well, being the procrastinator that I am, I figure this is better late than never.  And funny that I mention being a procrastinator, because procrastinatin' is one of the things I have resolved NOT to do this year.  Old habits die hard I guess.

I was reading my friend Rachel's blog, Existation, and was a bit inspired by her post "Shedding the Template" (no worries Rachel, I am not stealing your resolutions!)  (Also, people, check her blog out.  Total awesomeness.)  In it she writes about letting go of what she feels others expect out of her, and just being true to herself.  Easier said than done, as many of us know.  But a very kick ass resolution.  A very REAL resolution.  It's so easy to dwell on what others think of us, or what we think they think of us, and to call oneself out on it is a big step towards eradicating that behavior.  So good luck Rachel, I'm rooting for you!!

Anyway, I was inspired by her post to write a bit about the changes Mahli is going to make this year.  Yes we all have the usual.  And yes many of those are mine.  I AM going to be healthier, start exercising, and actually finish every book I read through to the end.  Really, I am.  The eating healthier bit has already begun (living in a country with so many local fresh fruits and vegetables helps).  I'm walking a lot, which counts as exercise, though I am determined to either join a gym or buy weights and work out at home.  I've done it before, I can do it again.  Although this time I'm going to keep it up, rather than stop simply because I feel better about myself for having exercised regularly for a few weeks.

I'm going to drink less.  Which here is difficult because there is seriously ALWAYS a party to go to.  And there's that devil, Aguardiente (or as the locals call it, Guaro), which makes you think you're all fine and dandy and WOOHOO until suddenly you find yourself questioning why your head is in a toilet.  (Not that I'm saying this out of experience...)  As a 30 year old I realize I am no longer in my twenties. My liver would really appreciate it if I would stop living as if I am.  So I'm going to follow my dad's advice as best I can and not drink at all M-F (Or maybe M-Th?  Because, hey, FRIDAY!!).  This resolution is already being thwarted by the fact that I have two birthdays to attend this week, but I am going to hold strong.  As best I can.  God I sound like an alcoholic.

That part I mentioned earlier about reading books through to the end?  Oh yeah baby, that's going to happen.  Also, I am going to try to read as many books as possible.  No more of this "I'm too busy" crap.  I finally finished a book I started...I am not going to even admit when.  One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.  You. Must. Read. This. Book.  I now plan to read it in Spanish, as it was originally written, because I am ambitious and hope it will help me in my quest to perfect the language.  I plan on reading more non-fiction as well, whether it's in Spanish or English.  If anyone has a suggestion for a NF book that won't make me want to bang my head against a wall, please share.  In fact, if there are any must-reads you have for me, leave a comment.

This year I am going to start the job I have always wanted.  I'm still looking, but there are so many wonderful opportunities here that I'm sure I'll find the right one.  After this break I've had in working with children (I really miss everyone over at People Serving People!!), I have realized even more how much I want to give myself to the education, inspiration and joy of children.  I know it won't always be easy.  But I really do believe that the seeds to a better future lie within the children of this world.  If I can inspire just one child to go on inspiring others, the world will be better because of it.  At least that's what I like to believe.

And here is one final doozey: I am going to go through the thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of photos I have collected on my computer and actually do something with them.  I'm sure there are plenty to trash, especially those from my early camera days, but I also have many to edit.  In fact, the photos I will be exhibiting at the end of this post are all from our trip to the farm in Tabio that I have been meaning to post for over a month.  I just downloaded PhotoScape for FREE the other day and OHMYGODILOVEIT.  It's no Adobe Photoshop, but it's pretty sweet and gives you quite a lot of options for a free editing program.  No more having to wait until I have the use of Wi-Fi, I can now edit from home!!  This excites me more than you would believe.  If I were any good at cartwheels, I would be doing cartwheels right now.  Sadly, my cartwheeling skills never developed further than that of a 4 year old..

Anyway, I want to dedicate this year to the things I love and to what makes me happy.
*I know Camilo and I will continue traveling as much as possible.  We may not be able to afford many flights right now, but we sure as hell can drive around this beautiful country and explore all of it's wonders.
*I am going to not only go through all of the photos gathering dust on my laptop, but I am going to try to go further with my photography.  I have so many photographs I want to blow up and have framed.  Hell, I've even considered having some printed on shirts and mugs (hint: possible birthday/xmas gifts this year).  I also want to go through with some of my ideas for certain subject themes in my photography - Artistic projects if you will.  They may never be seen in public, but to at least follow through to the end with some of my ideas would be awesome.  I would give myself a pat on the back for sure.
*I am going to practice more yoga.  I really love how it makes me feel and I know I can dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to it.  So why not?
*I am going to continue volunteering with children.  I really can't wait to start this through Nueva Lengua.  I think working at an orphanage will definitely be difficult, but I know it will be rewarding in many ways.  Children can be so funny and caring and sweet.  They will probably do more for me than I hope to do for them..
*And so much more.  One of which involves me bombarding you all with reasons why you should come and visit, because that would make me very, very happy-to-the-core.  Perhaps I can dedicate some posts to said reasons...

* * * 

In ending, PICTURES!!! 







 I almost deleted this photo after taking it, but thankfully didn't.  One of my favorites from the batch. And I didn't have to edit this one at all!!


 As you will see, scrolling down, I like to take photos of Fuse.  He's an awesome dog.
Just one big puppy :)











 I did a funky edit on this one.  Because sometimes I like to do that.






 The road back to Tabio (Tabio is a small city nearby, the farm is in the "burbs" I guess)
Also recently learned there are hot springs in/near Tabio!  Woohoo!




 Dog Farm (or daycare?) next to Camilo's farm.  Very pretty dogs - who like to bark a lot at night.

 La Pispa. The Pretty One.

















 I really love how this one turned out.  Exactly how I pictured.





 Cardenas y Fuse.  Great hiking buddies.


 I seriously love this dog


 If you visit, we can go on a hike, and you can experience this view FIRST HAND!!!




* * *

Stay awesome, loves!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment